Monday, June 4, 2012

Seed To Seed

Two goals (among many) in my gardening life are to save more seed and to become more experienced in succession planting (planting every few weeks during the appropriate time-frame so that a succession of produce is available, instead of one big crop going bitter when the heat comes on. This works best with lettuce.)
Perhaps I am finally a bit closer to my goal:
Lettuce seedling, sown a few weeks after my first batch of sown lettuce, using seed that I saved from a previous plant. Boom-Chaka-Laka!

Seed I collected from a speckled lettuce variety that works well in our climate.

After these are thinned and transplanted, I pledge to you, valued reader, that I will sow another round of lettuce in succession. (This variety came from the seeds in the photo above)

I like the look of lettuce going to seed. This variety grew in the cold frame last year, is a good  Winter/Early Spring lettuce, and will hopefully provide seed for the upcoming cool season.
Flame On!

No comments:

Post a Comment